Search Here

Breaking News

Common Mistakes in English (Part – 1)

Common Mistakes in English (Part – 1)
1.Avoid + gerund
There are certain verbs which are always fol. lowed by the present participle form of a verb (or gerund) and not by an infinitive.
Incorrect : You should avoid to make mistakes.
Correct : You should avoid making mistakes.
Incorrect : I could not help ( = could not avoid) to laugh.
Correct : I could not help laughing.
Note: But when 'help' means 'assist', it may be followed by a bare infinitive or to-infinitive. For example: I helped him write the application.
Or
I helped him to write the application.
2.Enjoy + gerund
Incorrect : I enjoyed to read the book.
Correct : I enjoyed reading the book.
Note: But the verbs 'like' or 'dislike' may be followed by either the to-infinitive or the gerund. For- example:
I like to read novels.
Or
I like reading novels
3.Excuse + ing
Incorrect : Please excuse me to be late.
Correct : Please excuse my being late.
Or
Please excuse me for being late.

4.Finish + gerund
Incorrect : Have you finished to eat?
Correct : Have you finished eating
Note: But the verbs 'start' and 'begin' may be followed either by the gerund or the infinitive. For example:
He began/stalted to walk.
He began/started walking.
5.Go on (= to continue) + gerund
Incorrect : He went on to read the play.
Correct : He went on reading the play.
Note: 'Keep on' is also followed by a gerund. For example:
She kept on dancing.


No comments