Search Here

Breaking News

Common Mistake in English ( Part -4)

Common Mistake in English
1.Read the watch
Incorrect : He does not know how to see the watch.
Correct : He does not know how to read the watch.
Note: "to read the watch" means "to be able to tell the time by looking at a watch."
2.Set a watch
Incorrect : I have fighted my watch with  the radio.
Correct : I have set my watch by the radio.
Note: This means that I put my watch to the right time listening to the radio time signal.
3.Lose/Gain time
Incorrect : My watch is slow/fast every day.
Correct : My watch loses/gains time every day.
Note: When a watch loses time, it gets slower and hen it gains time, it gets faster,
4. Have a haircut
Incorrect . I am going to cut my hair
Correct : I am going to have my hair cut.
Or
I am going for a haircut.
Note: We do not cut our hair ourselves. We usually have it cut by a hairdresser.
4.Glasses
Incorrect : He wears glass for reading.
Correct : He wears glasses for reading.
Incorrect : Where is my glass?
Correct : Where are my glasses?
Incorrect : I need a new glass.
Correct : I need some new glasses.
Or
I need a new pair of glasses.
Note: When "glasses" refers to "spectacles", it is always plural; it has no singular form.
5.Put on/Lose weight
Incorrect : His weight has increased. Correct : His has put on weight.
Incorrect : She has decreased her weight.
Correct : She has lost her weight.
Note: "To put on weight" means ' 'to get fatter" and " to lose weight" means "to get thinner". The opposite Of "put on weight" cannot be "take off weight".
6.This morning
Incorrect : He phoned me today morning.
Correct : He phoned me this morning
Note: Similarly, you should use "this afternoon" for  "today afternoon" "this evening" for "today evening", "last night" for "yesterday night" and "tonight" for "today night" or "this night".
7.What is the matter?
Incorrect : What have you today?
  Correct : What is the matter with you today?
Note: It is also possible to say:
What's wrong with you?
Or
What's the trouble with you?
8. To mean place of residence


Incorrect : Where is your home?
Correct : Where are you from ?
Or
Where do you come from?
Note: You cannot say, "Where are you coming from?" to mean "Where are you from?"
9. To mean the English name
Incorrect : How do you call this in English
Correct : What do you call this in English
 If the question is about an expression, you can say: Note. How do you Say this in English?
This question is not about a thing.
10. "Marry" or "Get married"
 Incorrect : I shall do you marriage.
Correct : I shall marry you.
Incorrect : He will do marriage next week.
Correct : He is going to marry next week.
Or
He's getting married next week.
Note: "Get married" is more usual than "marry"
11.Marry someone off
Incorrect : He gave her daughter marriage.
Correct : He married off her daughter.
Note: "To marry someone off' means "to find a husband  or wife for them."
12.Be born
Incorrect : He took his birth in 1960.
Correct : He was born in 1960.
Note: Nobody can take a birth. You should express the idea of being born in the passive voice. For example:    
Five babies are born every minute in Bangladesh. Many babies will be born tomorrow.


No comments